Monday, October 11

When Tod and I woke up this morning, we heard from the crew that they had driven into the night and were basically at our parent’s house and that we should hurry up and get on the road to get to them.

We showered, packed up, gassed up and hit the road. The GPS decided to keep us off of the major roads to get to the Purvis Homestead, and I have to say, when you only have three hours of driving in a day, it makes the scenery so much more beautiful. We trotted down back roads, and country highways, and Tod started to get hungry, so we pulled off at what was apparently the only restaurant on all of these stretches of road; R & D’s Seafood Steaks & More, in Sylvania, GA.

Picture this: a lonely stretch of country road (taking us home – oh John Denver), lined with pine trees, huge wheels of hay, barns, and silos. And then out of nowhere, BAM, a gravel parking lot, a neon sign in the window and a VFW/Elks Lodge Hall looking building. How could we not stop!?
You know that part in the movie, when the foreigner walks into the bar, and the music stops and everyone turns and stares? Well, it’s based in truth, because that was what happened when we walked in there. Luckily, we weren’t run out of town on a rail or anything, we actually got fed, buffet style! The food was okay, typical buffet, a la Sizzler, or Golden Corral, and it was pretty inexpensive - $7 apiece, including drink.

We got a call from Brian seeing where we were, and we finished up eating and got back on the road again to get home. Besides, we had to get there in time for our welcome home party!

We got to the Purvirosa with plenty of daylight to spare, and were able to spend some time with Mum and Dud before we headed over to the church for the party. It was good to be back in the house. Neither Tod or I grew up there, but it was the first house my parents owned, versus rented out by the military for them, and I spent about 5 years there, so it was a welcome sight, to know the exact layout of the space after being in such unfamiliar territory for so long on the trip.

After short naps, we packed up Dud’s truck and headed for the Grovetown United Methodist Church. Dud had prepared a Luau for us; Chicken Long Rice, Kalua Pig, Poi, Hawaiian Rolls, the works! Mum made her famous Chinese Chicken Salad. That was one thing that I never got tired of: home cooked meals vs. road or fast food.

The night was great! We got to meet some many of the people who had been supporting us, financially as well as spiritually, while we were planning and taking this trip. It was a great show of support. We ate, drank, fellowshipped, and relaxed. Pastor Josh was super great for letting us use the fellowship hall for our crazy luau.

We packed up the leftovers, and cleaned up the hall, and headed home to the big screen TV, HBO and a good night’s sleep.